Friday, November 8, 2019

Dad and the Apollo 15 splashdown

My dad, Roy Cooper, is mentioned in this story about how ABC recruited several KATU engineers in July 1971 to cover the Apollo 15 splashdown. I remember talking to Dad via ham radio while he was aboard the recovery vessel, the USS Okinawa. I was a sophomore in high school at the time, and the whole experience was pretty thrilling. It must've been thrilling for Dad, as well, because he was given a piece of the gold foil "skin" that covered the re-entry capsule as a souvenir, and he carried it in his wallet until he passed away in 2014. He was also given an Apollo 15 patch (pictured below) commemorating the event.

The KATU TV crew that covered the Apollo 15 splashdown aboard the
USS Okinawa. My dad (Roy Cooper) is seated in front, second from the
right.

The Apollo 15 commemorative patch they gave my dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment